grootbos foundation
mobile menu


Match Update: FFSA Boy's U-15 Team Plays in Hout Bay

On Saturday, November 22, the FFSA’s under 15’s team visited Hout Bay’s under-15 football team for a friendly game. The FFSA team’s journey to Cape Town started at 7am, but despite the early start the 19 boys and Coach Franzi were in a good mood because they were keen to play a match so far away from home.

After a 3-hour drive with temperatures rising up to 32 degrees Celsius, the bus finally arrived at the Hout Bay Sports Field and the FFSA team was heartily welcomed by the two host coaches. Due to the warm weather the coaches decided for a shorter match with 35min halftime instead of 45min halftime. Furthermore, the aim of the match should be the fun. Therefore, the coaches agreed that they could substitute as many players as they like, so that every team member got the chance to play. Once the terms of the match were clarified it was time for the boys to get dressed in their new kits and start playing football!

Just 10 minutes after kick off the FFSA-team was 1:0 down, before Mawande N. scored the 1:1 after an amazing passing combination with Lukhona and Sibabalwe on the right wing. Then after minutes of fighting against the heat and the strong opposing team, Mawande N. gained a 1:2 lead for the team before the first half was over.

In the half-time break both teams escaped the sun and fled into the rare shadow and tried to hydrate while the substitutions were announced. The half-time team talk focused on the man-to-man marking and how to cope with the quick opposing attackers who seemed unaffected by the heat so far. 

The second half started similar to the first half - not great for the FFSA-team. Just 3 minutes after kick-off, goalkeeper Bongani received an unstoppable goal into the right hand top corner. Shortly after the 2:2, FFSA found themselves 3:2 down, which was leading back on organisation problems in the midfield with the new substitutes.

After conceding the 2 goals, the FFSA-boys were back in shape and Mawande N. scored his third goal, after a good counterattack, which was initiated through a quick dribbling of Lukhona and a following great pass through.

Slow but steady, the heat started to give the opposing team a hard fight as well. With exhaustion taking its toll on both sides, concentration and communication on the field decreased. One misplaced pass of the opposing team to Mawande N., who received the ball with thanks and shoved it next to the goalkeeper into the goal. The lead was re-established! Then shortly before the finale whistle and after one vague void offside goal for the FFSA, the new striker Sizwe scored the final 3:5.

After the match and thanking the hosts for the fair game, FFSA went to cool down and celebrate on the Camps Bay beach, which ended with a game of football again. After a funny, successful and especially long day, all the players and Coach Franzi slept and maybe dreamed of their next matches until they returned to Gansbaai.

Other stories: